Sunday 9 October 2016

SAFARI (Mountain Man #2) by Keith C Blackmore

5 out of 5 stars

Zombie Apocalypse/Horror

On Amazon UK HERE
On Amazon.com HERE
On Goodreads HERE



I loved the first book in this series, reviewed HERE, and this one was great, too - I read it all in one go.  

Aside from the odd brief guest appearance, the book features only one character, Gus, a chronic alcoholic survivor of the zombie apocalypse, in Canada.  As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can write a book featuring only one character and make it a real page turner is a pretty smart writer.  This was gripping, and gathered pace as Gus discovers the mystery of the missing zombies (see book one) ~ I wasn't expecting that!  

Keith Blackmore is one of those rare writers who manages to make intricate practical detail interesting to read, and he can do mounting terror and suspense with the best of them.  I actually wasn't sure if the last invasion by the new foe at Gus's house on the hill was just the imagination of a drink addled and traumatised mind, or not ~ I've only just finished it, I think I need to go back and read the bit about 'what anyone would have seen if they'd been watching' again.  But I liked the end very much... and am going to go straight on to read Hellifax, the third book in the series now.

If you love zombie apocalypse books and if you liked the film 'Castaway' that featured one man and his imaginary friend, you'll love this :)

2 comments:

  1. Aw, Terry, you make me want to like zombies, but I just can't get myself there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha!
      If you ever want to give it a go, try Broken World by Kate L Mary or Surviving the Evacuation Book One: London, by Frank Tayell. Both terrific introductions to the genre :)

      Delete